If you would like to reach out to me for any purpose, please send me a message at the following link.
Let's dive in!
Table of Contents
- How is personal data collected?
- Is your data secure?
- For what purposes is your personal data processed?
- Website Analytics
- Other Scripts, Embeds, Add-ons
- What rights do you have with regard to the processing of your personal data?
- How can you manage your privacy?
- Who are the recipients of your personal data?
- Is your data transferred to third countries or international organizations?
How is personal data collected?
In most cases, you give them to candide ꘎ media yourself. This happens when you:
- fill out a contact form,
- subscribe to the newsletter,
- make a comment,
- send a monetary tip,
- contact candide ꘎ media.
Is your data secure?
candide ꘎ media cares about the security of your personal data. candide ꘎ media has analyzed the risks associated with the various data processing processes and then implemented appropriate security and data protection measures. candide ꘎ media is constantly monitoring the state of the technical infrastructure, observe the procedures applied, and make necessary improvements.
For what purposes is your personal data processed?
There are many reasons for data processing. Here is a list of them, with the appropriate legal grounds for processing to the individual purposes.
- comment handling—Article 6(1)(a) of the GDPR,
- sending the newsletter—Article 6(1)(a) of the GDPR,
- registration and maintenance of a user account—Article 6(1)(b) of the GDPR,
- order processing—Article 6(1)(b) of the GDPR,
- fulfillment of tax and accounting obligations—Article 6(1)(c) of the GDPR,
- handling correspondence—Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR,
- creating an archive for the purposes of a possible need to defend, establish, or pursue claims, as well as to identify the returning customer—Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR.
By subscribing to the newsletter, you provide candide ꘎ media with your email address and, optionally, your name. Providing data is voluntary but necessary to subscribe to the newsletter.
The data provided to me in connection with subscribing to the newsletter are used to send you the newsletter, and the legal basis for their processing is your consent (Article 6(1)(a) of the GDPR) expressed when subscribing to the newsletter. With regard to the processing of information not originating from you, but collected automatically by the self-hosted mailing system (ie subscriber-level campaign views and clicks), candide ꘎ media relies on the legitimate interest (Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR) consisting in analyzing the behavior of newsletter subscribers in order to optimize mailing activities.
You can unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time by clicking on the dedicated link at the bottom of each message sent as part of the newsletter. When unsubscribing, you will also have the option of exporting your data (a copy of your data will be emailed to you).
Once you unsubscribe from the newsletter, your data will still be stored in the database in order to identify the returning subscriber and possibly defend claims related to sending you the newsletter, in particular to prove your consent to receiving the newsletter and the moment of its withdrawal, which constitutes legitimate interest as referred to in Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR. If the period of limitation of civil law claims, criminal record, or penalties under administrative law expires after the termination of the business activity, the data will be deleted after this period.
You can modify your data provided for the purpose of receiving the newsletter at any time by clicking on the appropriate link visible in each message sent as part of the newsletter or by sending me a message at the following link.
This website uses a self-hosted version of Cusdis, a lightweight, privacy-first, open-source comment system. According to their site, Cusdis doesn't track this site or its users.
If you choose to comment, you can provide an anonymous nickname or your actual name, and providing your email is optional. Providing this data is voluntary but necessary to add a comment. The details you enter about yourself and the text you write will be saved in a database managed by candide ꘎ media. The data provided in connection with adding a comment will be processed in order to publish the comment on the website. The basis for processing is your consent (Article(6)(1)(a)) resulting from sending a form used to publish the comment.
Your comment will be publicly available on the website for the duration of its availability on the Internet unless you request removal of the comment beforehand.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by requesting the removal of the comment. If you would like to have your comments removed from this site, please send me a message at the following link with the subject line "Comment deletion request: [nickname used]", provide the same e-mail and nickname that was used to make the comment, and provide a link(s) to the comment(s).
That said, as mentioned above, providing an email is optional and Cusdis has no way of tracking users. As such, deletion requests can only be fulfilled if commenters provided an email at the time of commenting.
When contacting candide ꘎ media, you provide me with your personal data included in the content of the correspondence, in particular your email address, name, and surname. Providing data is voluntary but necessary to establish contact.
Your data are processed in this case for the purpose of contacting you and the basis for processing is Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR, i.e. legitimate interest. The legal basis for processing after contact has ended is also candide ꘎ media's legitimate purpose to archive the correspondence for the purpose of ensuring that candide ꘎ media can prove certain facts in the future (Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR).
"Even though FormSubmit sends out the information over email, the user [candide ꘎ media] is responsible and the rightful owner of said information.
FormSubmit is committed to processing some of the information with the only purpose of managing the platform and to fulfill the request from the users. candide ꘎ media will not use the collected information for any other purpose except when explicitly obtaining permission from the user. candide ꘎ media will not disclose any of the collected data to any third party, except in the case when this is required in order to provide desired services to the user, or when it is required by law."
The content of the correspondence may be archived and candide ꘎ media is not able to clearly determine when it will be deleted. You have the right to request the history of any correspondence you have had with candide ꘎ media (if it has been archived) as well as to request its erasure, unless archiving it is justified by candide ꘎ media's overriding interests, such as defending against potential claims.
As part of the description of the individual purposes for the processing of personal data above, candide ꘎ media has indicated time limits for the storage of personal data. These time limits are often related to the archiving of certain data for the purpose of ensuring that candide ꘎ media can prove certain facts in the future, reconstruct the course of candide ꘎ media's cooperation with you, the correspondence exchanged, or defend, establish, or assert claims. candide ꘎ media relies in this respect on legitimate interest as referred to in Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR.
Umami is GDPR-compliant. According to their Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Umami "does not collect any personally identifiable information and anonymizes all data collected. Users cannot be identified and are never tracked across websites. (...) Umami does not use any cookies in the tracking code."
You can also view discussion on privacy and GDPR-compliance on Umami's GitHub page:
candide ꘎ media does not (and cannot) combine website analytics data with your personal data which are in candide ꘎ media's databases. This information is anonymous and does not allow candide ꘎ media to identify you. This information is stored on the servers of the suppliers of individual tools and these servers may most often be located around the world.
Other Scripts, Embeds, Add-ons
Able Player - Media Player
This website uses Able Player, a fully accessible cross-browser HTML5 media player that provides a clickable transcript. Able Player uses js-cookie to store and retrieve user preferences in cookies. This script is distributed with Able Player, and the cookie is strictly necessary for the functioning of the accessible video player.
According to their site:
"One of Able Player’s accessibility features is that the player is highly customizable by users. The controller includes a Preferences button that allows users to change default preferences and settings. Their changes are stored in a browser cookie and in most cases should therefore be preserved the next time they visit the site. Specifically, users can control the following:
- Modifier keys: Add Alt, Ctrl, or Shift to the Able Player keyboard shortcuts to avoid conflicts with other applications.
- Closed captions on by default
- Description on by default
- Use text-based description if available.
- Automatically pause video when text-based description starts
- If using text-based description, make it visible
- Transcript on by default
- Highlight transcript as video plays
- Keyboard-enable transcript"
YouTube videos embedded via Able Player use YouTube's privacy-enhanced mode using the “youtube-nocookie.com” host. This is done by adding a data-youtube-nocookie="true" parameter to the AblePlayer div.
"The privacy-enhanced mode of the YouTube embedded player prevents the use of views of embedded YouTube content from influencing the viewer's browsing experience on YouTube. This means that the view of a video shown in the privacy-enhanced mode of the embedded player will not be used to personalise the YouTube browsing experience, either within your privacy-enhanced mode embedded player or in the viewer's subsequent YouTube viewing experience.
If ads are served on a video shown in the privacy-enhanced mode of the embedded player, those ads will likewise be non-personalised. In addition, the view of a video shown in the privacy-enhanced mode of the embedded player will not be used to personalise advertising shown to the viewer outside of your site or app.
If you find an instance where the data-youtube-nocookie="true" parameter was forgotten, please send a message at the following link.
Ko-Fi (Tip Jar)
Monetary contributions by way of donations/tips/subscriptions/purchases/virtual "coffees" sent to candide ꘎ media are processed through Ko-Fi.
What rights do you have with regard to the processing of your personal data?
The GDPR grants you the following potential rights related to the processing of your personal data:
- the right to access your data and obtain a copy thereof,
- the right to demand the rectification of the data,
- the right to erase the data (if in your opinion there are no grounds for candide ꘎ media to process your data, you can request that for your data to be erased),
- the right to restriction of data processing (you can request that candide ꘎ media restrict the processing of data only to the storage or performance of activities agreed with you if in your opinion candide ꘎ media has incorrect data or has processed them unjustifiably),
- the right to object to the processing of data (you have the right to object to the processing of data on the basis of a legitimate interest; you should indicate a specific situation that, in your opinion, justifies the termination of the processing covered by the objection; candide ꘎ media will stop processing your data for these purposes unless candide ꘎ media proves that the grounds for data processing override your rights or that your data are necessary for candide ꘎ media to establish, assert, or defend claims),
- the right to transfer data (you have the right to receive from candide ꘎ media, in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format, personal data that you provided to candide ꘎ media on the basis of a contract or your consent; you can commission candide ꘎ media to send these data directly to another entity),
- the right to withdraw consent to the processing of personal data if you previously gave such consent,
- the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory body (if you find that candide ꘎ media is processing data unlawfully, you can submit a complaint to the President of the Personal Data Protection Office or another competent supervisory authority).
The rules related to the implementation of the above-mentioned rights are described in detail in Articles 16–21 of the GDPR. candide ꘎ media encourages you to familiarize yourself with these provisions. On candide ꘎ media's part, it's necessary to explain to you that the above-mentioned rights are not absolute and you will not be entitled to them in relation to all activities involving the processing of your personal data.
candide ꘎ media emphasizes that you always have one of the rights indicated above—if you believe that candide ꘎ media has breached the provisions on the protection of personal data while processing your personal data, you have the option to lodge a complaint.
You can also always ask candide ꘎ media to provide you with information about what data candide ꘎ media holds on you and for what purposes it is processed. All you need to do is send me a message at the following link.
How can you manage your privacy?
Here's a list of options for managing your privacy:
- cookie settings in the web browser,
- browser plug-ins supporting cookie management, e.g. Ghostery,
- additional cookie management software,
- incognito mode in a web browser,
- behavioral advertising settings, e.g. youronlinechoices.com
Who are the recipients of your personal data?
The following processors are involved in the processing of personal data:
- hosting provider that stores data on the server,
- provider of the mailing system in which your data are stored, if you are a newsletter subscriber,
- an entity providing maintenance services that gains access to the data, if the technical works carried out relate to areas where personal data are located,
- other subcontractors who gain access to the data, if the scope of their activities requires such access.
Personal data may be transferred to law offices if there is a need to use legal assistance that requires access to personal data.
Your personal data may also be transferred to tax offices to the extent necessary to fulfill tax, settlement, and accounting obligations. This applies in particular to all declarations, reports, statements, and other accounting documents which contain your personal data.
Another part of candide ꘎ media's priority is adding protection for children while using the internet. candide ꘎ media encourages parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their online activity.
candide ꘎ media does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. If you think that your child provided this kind of information to this website, candide ꘎ media strongly encourages you to send a message at the following link immediately and the best efforts will be done to promptly remove such information.
Is your data transferred to third countries or international organizations?
Yes, part of the processing of your personal data may involve their transfer to third countries.
Your personal data is transferred to third countries in connection with the use of tools that store personal data on servers located in third countries, in particular in the USA. The providers of these tools guarantee an adequate level of protection of personal data through appropriate compliance mechanisms provided for by the GDPR, in particular through the use of standard contractual clauses.
Links to Other Websites